>From: Kristina Morris Baumli <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: OT: responding to prejudice
>Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 14:43:49 -0400

thank you for naming your sources. may i please point out that extrapolating
percentage points from name lists is not the most kosher of practices? as
for drudge's reporting... i dont even have to complete that sentence.

>My source for the 50% was a party-sponsored Zogby poll that was
>circulated among Democrats-- I believe it was also posted on ABC
>news, but I'm afraid that I lack the cite.

key term being party-sponsored.

>To clarify my position: I never reductively stated conservative or (
>for that matter liberal) views are in themselves "offensive."
>However, I do think that reductive, racist comments like Ms. Troy's
>are quite likely to be found on talk radio shows, which have a strong
>reputation for being tendentious. (the term" feminazi" comes to >mind.)  I
>can't imagine NPR on the left, or George Will on the right >saying anything
>so jejeune, so sophomoric, so reductive.

somebody has to scoop up the manure after the academic high horse has run on
through. look: everybody's clear on what most of the media--be it print,
radio or television--amounts to. it's reductionist by its very nature, and
you get as much unadulterated bogus on crossfire as you get during one of
oreilly's faux irish-temper rants or savage's infurating 'the wasps will
rise' monologues. people's opinions, whether on the left or the right, are
never as simplistic as commentators of any ilk make them out to be. equating
conservative or liberal contentions to the demagoguery of a few
"journalists," whether they're in it for payola or have actual axes to
grind, is, as you pointed out, simplistic--and so is believing the
"offensive views" you've issue with are anything else but mildly
entertaining to their target audiences.

>As far as my classroom free speech query goes-- after you have
>finished retching-- perhaps you could advise me how you would deal in a
>classroom  (my classes often include Arabs and other Muslims...) if a
>student made the above-cited statement?  It would test my abilities to
>allow open discourse-- fortunately, although I've had >lots of arguments in
>my classes I've never had to deal with something >like that.

i'm not an accredited professor, nor do i stake any claims at instructional
excellence, but my humble suggestion to any and all those trying to set up
in-class debates would be to point students to
http://www.politicalcompass.org/, make public disclosure of the score a
condition of participating, and let sparks fly. my own experience has been
that students themselves best regulate the range of opinions expressed by
way of general assent/dissent--that is to say, if somebody makes a grossly
offensive statement, they are usually reprimanded/disagreed with by
subsequent speakers.

3 hurrays for peer pressure!

regards,

/end_harm

p.s. for the record, my score is 0.50/-2.57