>From: "erwin welsch" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Printing of Eliot's work
>Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 08:30:27 -0700

[On Rainey's _Institutions of Modernism_]

>And what was you opinion after reading it?

I was only pointing out that he didn't edit a collection of essays--he wrote
them all. (I think the other essays are on Pound, Joyce and H.D.).

I think it's a terrific book, and a necessary one, about the relation
between "modernism" and what Rainey (borrowing Habermas) calls the "public
sphere." Basically, what it shows is that the modernists and those that
published and marketed them were pretty savvy in the way they carved a space
for their stuff within the literary marketplace. It challenges any notion
(whether positive or negative) of the modernists as artists only who stand
apart from the marketplace.

Jeff