Well, do you have the Koran? One good example is that women have the right
to inherit goods and do not lose these rights when they get married, nor do
they lose their goods to their husbands when they do so. This was very
modern, maybe even revolutionary at the time. Don't forget that Judaic,
Christian and Muslim religion all build from the old testament.

And do you know anything about Mohammed and his wife? His wife was allowed
to live such an equal life to Mohammed that it frequently brought the two of
them in trouble. Plenty is written on this though it may be hard to find.
I'm certain you would find it very interesting.

Of course, Christianity has been modernised, adapted to or tolerant of,
modern Western society, but so are the majority of Muslims living in modern
Western society, usually as soon as they become a solid part of that
society. This is only normal, the big problem is bridging the big cultural
gap between life in a poor village in a poor, underdeveloped country with
little educational tradition and facility, to an urban Western society where
parents start training their children before they have even left the womb.

That does not change, however, that fundamentally, the Koran lays down laws
and principles that are more modern, especially regarding women's rights,
than the Bible did, however confusing the Bible may be as it is an amalgalm
of law, history and literature. The Koran is more consistent in this
respect.

Even the laws that seem so confining for women, that which command them to
cover their bodies, was intended for the good of the women, namely to
protect them from the lust of the barbaric men who cannot control
themselves. It is explained so in the Koran. I think even today we can see
something in that, but imagine life 800 years ago (before the pill c.s.,
abortion, decent medicine to cure venereal diseases etc.), and you can see
how this could actually be meant to protect women rather than restrict them.

Yours,
A.