Yes, I think you are missing something.  First of all, I seem to have been
wrong on dates, but apart from that, he left Emily and went to England and
did not propose (as would have been the honorable intention and behavior in
that time) though he had given her to expect it--at least she clearly did.  He
had a rather strong capacity for guilt as well as for faithlessness (indeed,
who feels guilt unless they have done something to cause it?), and it did
not depend on Vivienne.

Secondly, "misogyny" is not at all limited to men who have nothing to do
with women.  It has to do with attitudes toward them and beliefs about
them.  Eliot said deeply hateful things about women and nonetheless got
along with many of them just as he said anti-semitic things and
nonetheless seems to have corresponded with a Jewish acquaintance or
friend and to have had Jewish admirers.  So I think what you are missing is
that the logic did not depend on a simplistic dichotomy of Emily or Viv, or
of unrelieved hatred of women or absolute innocence of misogynistic
attitudes.  Logic does not depend on absolute and mutually exclusive
categories.
Nancy