--On Friday, January 25, 2002 3:35 PM -0500 "Rickard A. Parker"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Just get Gordon's "T.S. Eliot: An Imperfect Life" and skip her earlier
>
> books as they are incorporated into "Imperfect Life."

  Actually, if you are not just going to skip Gordon (which is what I would
recommend if you are interested in Eliot's life rather than the current
misinformation campaign it inspires), it would be instructive to read all
of her books, as you can then see how she ratchets up the rhetoric of her
prejudicial, not to say fanciful, case against Eliot.

 Beyond that, as has been suggested, the biographies all leave much to be
desired, though that I think is a problem not with the authors not having
read all of Eliot's letters but with the agendas brought to the writing by
the individual biographers.

 A possible antidote, as just suggested in Guy Brown's post, is to to read
around the many memoirs and shorter personal remembrances to get a sense of
the actual man, rather than one writer's effort to rescript his life to her
or his preference.

 Ken Armstrong