--part1_13c.840321e.2982082a_boundary

[log in to unmask] writes:

> .  Though I'm also intrigued by his alignment of the woman with
> the body in this violation--very much overturning Victorian readings of
> Woman as "angel in the house," that is, as pure spirit devoid of bodily
> complications.

I wonder then how he would react to postmodern Florida, where the women
display their bodies in all seasons.  But, Viv was hardly Victorian,
certainly not in thought or action . . . or in dress . . by all accounts.  If
he was then made uncomfortable by overt signs of sexuality, I wonder at him
marrying Viv rather than a more plain, intellectual type.

As for abandonment, I cannot but think that he also felt abandoned.

Simple and faithless as a smile and shake of the hand

--part1_13c.840321e.2982082a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 1/24/02 8:23:39 PM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask] writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">.&nbsp; Though I'm also intrigued by his alignment of the woman with<BR>
the body in this violation--very much overturning Victorian readings of<BR>
Woman as "angel in the house," that is, as pure spirit devoid of bodily<BR>
complications.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
I wonder then how he would react to postmodern Florida, where the women display their bodies in all seasons.&nbsp; But, Viv was hardly Victorian, certainly not in thought or action . . . or in dress . . by all accounts.&nbsp; If he was then made uncomfortable by overt signs of sexuality, I wonder at him marrying Viv rather than a more plain, intellectual type. <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
As for abandonment, I cannot but think that he also felt abandoned.<BR>
<BR>
Simple and faithless as a smile and shake of the hand   </FONT></HTML>

--part1_13c.840321e.2982082a_boundary--