It's Emily Hale.  He met her in Boston before he went to England
and seemed to have made statements that asserted or implied
love.  By one account he gave her a ring of some kind.  In any
case, they corresponded for 30 years; she visited him and he her;
she expected to marry him and then always believed if he were
free, he would still marry her.  She waited and never married.
When he married Valerie, she had a breakdown.  It started when
they were very young and then he left and suddenly married
Vivienne.  He destroyed her letters but his to her are not available
until 2019 (I believe--I'm bad at dates.)  The whole story is in
Lyndall Gordon and in bits in many other places.
Nancy