------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C19B22.76B74480

JP,

Thanks a lot for your comments.=20
I think the first point to be considered is that not only poetry is =
incapable of endurance. This is a problem concerning language as a whole =
- be it poetical or not. Language is one of the many "appearances" =
inside the flow of time. Meanings are produced, understood, interpreted, =
reinterpreted and finally forgotten. In a sense, a meaning cannot be =
remembered, since it will change continuously from time to time, and it =
cannot be comunicated either, since it will be different from mind to =
mind (the "bowl of rose-leaves"):
  Words move, music moves
  Only in time; but that which is only living=20
  Can only die.
After speech, words fall into the darkness of silence. They are =
swallowed by the river of time. That's why they always fail to capture =
the atemporal pattern of human existence - the pattern that will give =
sense to human experience as a whole. Words "try hard", no doubt:
  Words strain,
  crack and sometimes break, under the burden,
  under the tension, slip, slide, perish,
  Decay with imprecision, will not stay in place,
  Will not stay still.
Only direct contact with this atemporal pattern can perform the task. =
Words cannot take us there. Quite the contrary. It is only by getting =
there that we can give full meaning to our faltering words
  Only by the form, the pattern,
  Can words or music reach
  The stillness
The key to the Quartets, I think, lies in establishing a reasonable =
interpretation to this atemporal "pattern", and I agree with you that it =
must be looked for in the "agony and ecstasy", "life and death", =
"perishing and coming-to-be" pattern of Nature (I capitalize to make the =
word encompass not only dogs, oak-trees and stones, but our mental and =
social life as well). Every single instant of time is a window open to =
this pattern: any "movement" must be seen as a "detail of the pattern", =
as he says.=20
Now I am convinced that this abstract reflection on Nature is linked to =
a very concrete conception of what is to be considered as "true =
happiness", as opposed to false, illusory happiness in life. It has to =
do with the opposition between Desire and Love (I capitalize to remember =
that these words have both a personal and a "cosmical" (arghhhh) sense =
in the Quartets):
  Desire itself is movement
  Not in itself desirable;
  etc.
But I have spoken too much today. It is 4:30 in Brazil, and I must go to =
bed.
Have a nice day.

Jo=E3o

------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C19B22.76B74480

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>JP,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks a lot for your comments. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think the first point to be =
considered is that=20
not only poetry is incapable of endurance. This is a problem concerning =
language=20
as a whole - be it poetical or not. </FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Language is=20
one of the many "appearances" inside the flow of&nbsp;time. Meanings are =

produced, understood, interpreted, reinterpreted and finally forgotten. =
In a=20
sense, a meaning cannot be remembered, since it will change continuously =
from=20
time to time, and it&nbsp;cannot be comunicated either, since it will be =

different from mind to mind (the "bowl of rose-leaves"):</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Words move, music moves</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Only in time; but that which is only =
living=20
  </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Can only =
die.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After speech, words fall into =
the darkness=20
of silence. They are swallowed by the river of time. </FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>That's why they always fail to capture the atemporal pattern of =
human=20
existence&nbsp;- the pattern that will&nbsp;</FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>give=20
sense to human experience as a whole. Words "try hard", no =
doubt:</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Words strain,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>crack and sometimes break, =
under the=20
  burden,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>under the tension, slip, =
slide,=20
  perish,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Decay with imprecision, =
will not stay in=20
  place,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Will not stay=20
still.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Only direct contact with this =
atemporal=20
pattern can perform the task. Words cannot take us there. Quite the =
contrary. It=20
is only by getting there that we can give full meaning to our faltering=20
words</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Only by the form, the=20
  pattern,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Can words or music =
reach</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The =
stillness</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The key to the Quartets, I =
think, lies in=20
establishing a reasonable interpretation to this atemporal "pattern", =
and I=20
agree with you that it must be&nbsp;looked for&nbsp;in the "agony and =
ecstasy",=20
"life and death", "perishing and coming-to-be" pattern of Nature (I =
capitalize=20
to make the word encompass not only dogs, oak-trees and stones, but our =
mental=20
and social life as well). Every single&nbsp;instant of time is a window =
open to=20
this pattern: any "movement" must be seen as a "detail of the pattern", =
as he=20
says. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now I am convinced that this =
abstract=20
reflection on Nature is linked to a very concrete conception of what is =
to be=20
considered as "true happiness", as opposed to false, illusory happiness =
in life.=20
It has to do with the opposition between Desire and Love (I capitalize =
to=20
remember that these words have both a personal and a "cosmical" =
(arghhhh) sense=20
in the Quartets):</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Desire itself is =
movement</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Not in itself =
desirable;</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>etc.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But I have spoken too much =
today. It is=20
4:30 in Brazil, and I must go to bed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Have a nice day.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jo=E3o</FONT></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C19B22.76B74480--