Rick,

Yes, you did say he tried to enlist, and I pointed out that it was twice and
that unless there were some textual evidence I don't know and would like to
know, that's all we know.  In other words, your personal notion about why is
just a speculation.  Why do you make any parallel with someone else
unless you know of some reason to believe Eliot had similar feelings and
reasons?  Did he ever say that, to your knowledge?

I think a very good case could be made that the Lil scene does comment
on the war because there were other literary examples of what happened to
relationships when men came back from the war--like Septimus in MRS
DALLOWAY or the young man (can't think of name) in SUNSET SONG.
The point is that it is Albert's return from the war that precipitates the
situation.  The assertion that it is not about that is only an assertion and
needs some justification--especially since the war is made a point of in
both the word "demobbed" and the claim that Albert's been in the army four
years and wants a good time.  We can of course just agree to disagree.
But in both cases, what I am querying is your reason rather than your
feeling.
Best,
Nancy