--part1_bf.19783e4c.296e4197_boundary

[log in to unmask] writes:

> Seems very much like it, does it not. As you rightly say, others hurried to
> service. Even Owen writes in 1914 to his family that it is " a fine heroic
> feeling being in France".

When we see the pictures on TV of 'our boys' riding around Afghanistan in
their cool jeeps and green fatigues on the trail of terrorists, drinking
coffee and talking and laughing to the natives, there's definitely a feeling
of adventure, and the men on the list must experience this emotion even more
intensely than me (forgive me for being so politically incorrect), but then I
see what's not being shown in the pictures, the cold, the possibility of
being struck by a sniper or land mine, the laughing natives not so happy at
night in their freezing home with no electricity, and I'm so so content with
the adventure of running with Red at the beach in the only tropical zone of
the continental United States.  War is so awful, but there wasn't a way to
stand by after what happened; it required action; so, if these boys feel
heroic at times with their jeeps and their mission, it is certainly due them.
 I can't say that Eliot thought exactly as I stated here.  After all, it was
a different war and we back home are not as affected, in spite of the trade
towers.

Kate

--part1_bf.19783e4c.296e4197_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
In a message dated 1/9/02 11:31:41 PM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask] writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Seems very much like it, does it not. As you rightly say, others hurried to<BR>
service. Even Owen writes in 1914 to his family that it is " a fine heroic<BR>
feeling being in France".<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
When we see the pictures on TV of 'our boys' riding around Afghanistan in their cool jeeps and green fatigues on the trail of terrorists, drinking coffee and talking and laughing to the natives, there's definitely a feeling of adventure, and the men on the list must experience this emotion even more intensely than me (forgive me for being so politically incorrect), but then I see what's not being shown in the pictures, the cold, the possibility of being struck by a sniper or land mine, the laughing natives not so happy at night in their freezing home with no electricity, and I'm so so content with the adventure of running with Red at the beach in the only tropical zone of the continental United States.&nbsp; War is so awful, but there wasn't a way to stand by after what happened; it required action; so, if these boys feel heroic at times with their jeeps and their mission, it is certainly due them.&nbsp; I can't say that Eliot thought exactly as I stated here.&nbsp; After all, it was a different war and we back home are not as affected, in spite of the trade towers.<BR>
<BR>
Kate
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_bf.19783e4c.296e4197_boundary--