------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C1931A.225C6D80

Reading over the poem again, I tended to feel sympathy for the narrator, =
the dull, old man in the "decayed house."  I do not find "gerontion" in =
the dictionary, but the greek *geras* =3D old age is noted.   To =
understand the poem, I look at the givens first.  When is a dry month, =
who is an old man being read to by a boy, where is a windy, draughty =
place.  On the literal level, an old man waits to die living along, but =
attended to by a woman and a boy.  He is Prufrockian in his anxious, =
despairing existence, and in his tone:  "These with a thousand small =
deliberations/Protract the profit of their chilled delirium/Excite the =
membrane when the sense has cooled"  But is he really an allegorical =
figure, and if so, who or what does he represent?
=20

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C1931A.225C6D80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080 face=3D"Book Antiqua" =
size=3D5><STRONG>Reading over the=20
poem again, I tended to feel sympathy for the narrator, the dull, old =
man in the=20
"decayed house."&nbsp; I do not find "gerontion" in the dictionary, but =
the=20
greek *geras* =3D old age is noted.&nbsp;&nbsp; To understand the poem, =
I look at=20
the givens first.&nbsp; When is a dry month, who is an old man being =
read to by=20
a boy, where is a windy, draughty place.&nbsp; On the literal level, an =
old man=20
waits to die living along, but attended to by a woman and a boy.&nbsp; =
He is=20
Prufrockian in his anxious, despairing existence, and in his tone:&nbsp; =
"These=20
with a thousand small deliberations/Protract the profit of their chilled =

delirium/Excite the membrane when the sense has cooled"&nbsp; But is he =
really=20
an allegorical figure, and if so, who or what does he=20
represent?</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080 face=3D"Book Antiqua"=20
size=3D5><STRONG>&nbsp;</STRONG></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C1931A.225C6D80--