I did not see the original of this because I have had back trouble that
makes sitting hard, so I have deleted a lot.  But this is very unfortunate,
and especially since Gunnar usually is very kind.  I think, however, it is a
not surprising outcome of the increasing personalizing of debate and
discussion that I find not only ungenerous but ridiculous since we do not
even know each other for the most part except as Eliot readers.  I never
have understood why members of the list make personal attacks and often
mean ones on people they have never met and know nothing about except
their texts on Eliot.   I am not condoning what Gunnar wrote, but it is by no
means the only or the most egregious comment I've seen here.

It would make this worthwhile if we all stepped back and remembered why
we got on this list and made a decision to focus on Eliot and poetry and
not each other.
Best,
Nancy
Best,