--part1_97.212e3823.296d08ee_boundary

In a message dated 1/9/02 2:09:19 AM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask] writes:

> .  Perhaps he was unable to overcome his aversion.  He would not have seen a
> role for his poetry in extending colonialism by military force as Kipling
> and others did.   Some, however, read TWL as war poetry

Frank,

I agree with Rick in all that he wrote to you.  I don't believe Eliot would
write a poem specifically about World War I; however, the Waste Land is
certainly a result of World War I as well as other events and non-events that
occurred in the world and the great unreal cities.  A specific war was not
his point; just as it was not the point of Wallace Stevens' poetry. Stevens,
also, did not write about specific events; he did not even refer to the great
circus fire that engulfed Hartford Connecticut, even though he was a big
Hartford insurance executive at the time.

>>When I joined I listened for about a month.  Much of what was being said
evidently had a long history.  I then wrote my first comment.  It was
ignored.  I did not then attack the list.  I sulked quietly.  I was much to
interested in learning about TSE and knew that there was much to learn. >>

It's not our fault that you don't know anybody at the party, Frank.

<<They then learn that Kate has red hair and a dog named red and that I have
sheep (white) am long winded. >>

I also wear "Red" perfume by Giorgio, a gorgeous fragrance.  But, Rick, you
have sheep?  Real sheep, ba ba, or sheep dogs?

Kate

--part1_97.212e3823.296d08ee_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffe0b8"><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 1/9/02 2:09:19 AM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask] writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">.&nbsp; Perhaps he was unable to overcome his aversion.&nbsp; He would not have seen a role for his poetry in extending colonialism by military force as Kipling and others did.&nbsp;&nbsp; Some, however, read TWL as war poetry</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffe0b8" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffe0b8" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
Frank,<BR>
<BR>
I agree with Rick in all that he wrote to you.&nbsp; I don't believe Eliot would write a poem specifically about World War I; however, the Waste Land is certainly a result of World War I as well as other events and non-events that occurred in the world and the great unreal cities.&nbsp; A specific war was not his point; just as it was not the point of Wallace Stevens' poetry. Stevens, also, did not write about specific events; he did not even refer to the great circus fire that engulfed Hartford Connecticut, even though he was a big Hartford insurance executive at the time.<BR>
<BR>
&gt;&gt;When I joined I listened for about a month.&nbsp; Much of what was being said evidently had a long history.&nbsp; I then wrote my first comment.&nbsp; It was ignored.&nbsp; I did not then attack the list.&nbsp; I sulked quietly.&nbsp; I was much to interested in learning about TSE and knew that there was much to learn. &gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffe0b8" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">It's not our fault that you don't know anybody at the party, Frank.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&lt;&lt;</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffe0b8" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">They then learn that Kate has red hair and a dog named red and that I have sheep (white) am long winded. &gt;&gt;</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffe0b8" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
I also wear "Red" perfume by Giorgio, a gorgeous fragrance.&nbsp; But, Rick, you have sheep?&nbsp; Real sheep, ba ba, or sheep dogs?<BR>
<BR>
Kate<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>