------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C19877.B0154A40

Frank:

I've been an active member of this list for about 3 years.  I have been =
known to post entire messages that had absolutely nothing to do with TSE =
or even literature.  I take comfort in not being alone in this sin.

When I joined I listened for about a month.  Much of what was being said =
evidently had a long history.  I then wrote my first comment.  It was =
ignored.  I did not then attack the list.  I sulked quietly.  I was much =
to interested in learning about TSE and knew that there was much to =
learn.  This list has people on it who study TSE as part of their =
vocation and who have written a number of well respected books on TSE  =
It also has amateur lovers of poetry like me.=20

The list certainly is an "in group" but it is not an exclusive "in =
group".  Anyone can become a member of the "in group" they merely have =
to post on a somewhat regular basis.  They then learn that Kate has red =
hair and a dog named red and that I have sheep (white) am long winded.  =
That Marcia has an irritating habit of not letting people get away with =
generalizations.  That Rick Parker can find out something about anything =
using the web and seemingly do it at the byte of a blink. That Nancy and =
Pat can have some real intense arguments.  That Gunnar and Tom like each =
other and know T. S. Eliot extremely well.  That Steve and Rick P are =
both convinced that TSE was gay (just joking, just joking).

Hang around,  better yet contribute more.  Know this though.  The list =
does not respond well to questions.  What the active list members want =
to do is learn.  They learn from your comments and then will challenge =
those comments as part of their own learning process.

I for one would like to hear more of what you think about TSE and W.W.I. =
 I don't think TSE liked things military very much.  He liked creating =
not breaking things.  I don't think he had much use for military force =
as a instrument of government.  I don't think he was comfortable with =
poetry being associated with war.  But yet contrariwise he would have =
thought poetry to be the perfect medium for expressing war.  Perhaps he =
was unable to overcome his aversion.  He would not have seen a role for =
his poetry in extending colonialism by military force as Kipling and =
others did.   Some, however, read TWL as war poetry.  I would like to =
know what prompted your question.  Other poets of the era wrote no war =
poetry.  I can think of none by H.D. for instance.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my three years on the list.  I hope you enjoy =
yours.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM, USA
 =20