Rick Seddon wrote:

> I still don't understand the insistance on linking F&P with Dido.

Steve's post of Thursday, 24 Jan 2002 ([log in to unmask]) entitled
'Thoughts on "La Figlia che Piange"'
was the one making the Aeneas/Dido and Paolo/Francesca connection.
Steve mentioned Singleton saying there was an allusion.  I did not
really think it was an allusion but, to show I at least thought about
it, I mentioned that it might deal with fate.  Later I saw the mention
of Dido in the same Canto and I gave another reason that it **MIGHT**
be an allusion.  I still don't see it myself.

This is a great opportunity for me to bow out and hand the baton back
to Steve.  I think we ended up a bit off from his original post and
I'll give him the chance to bring it back to his post and get me off
the hook.

> A confession.  I knew that the name was there.  I just knew it but
> couldn't find it.  I spent 30 minutes reading and rereading the Canto
> trying to find it and my eye just kept skipping over it.

It's easier to let the computer do the searching.  Project Gutenberg
has a number of variants of the Divine Comedy to download.  Italian (7
bit and accented 8 bit) and English translations by Cary, Longfellow
and Norton.  You can get the entire Divine Comedy in one file or get a
seperate file for each of the Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso.  Plus
tons/tonnes of other other works.  Check out http://www.promo.net/pg/

Once you get the files you will see names like
0ddcd09.txt or 1ddcl10.txt

0 = full comedy, 1 = Inferno, 2 = Purgatorio, 3 = Paradiso
d = Dante
dc = Divine Comedy
c = Cary, d = Dante (7 bit), 8 = Dante (accented 8 bit), l = Longfellow,
n = Norton
## = Project Gutenberg edition number

Regards,
    Rick Parker

By the way, this is my first post with my new e-mail address
[log in to unmask] but any mail sent to me off list with TheWorld
in lowercase or using my old [log in to unmask] email address
should get to me as well.  It is the same ISP but they have been
reconfiguring with a faster server under a different domain name.  It
has been a real headache for both the system admins and the customers
but the new system is *very* noticibly faster.

PS - Yeah, headaches is right.  This is a repost (the SECOND repost).
Apparently the domain name change is keeping my message from being
posted to the group even though I subscribed with the new name.