--part1_8.208f5f02.298aff70_boundary

In a message dated 1/31/2002 12:53:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,=20
[log in to unmask] writes:=20

> I'm curious about why this occurs to you since in this case the notes say=20=
it=20
> is a reference to an Antarctic expedition and also to the journey to=20
> Emmaus, and in section V one actually does get images of the journey and=20
> of Christ and the whole Weston theme not really apparent much in the first=
=20
> four part. =A0It is one passage where the notes seem to be rather literal.=
=20
> What=20
> is Viv doing in these specific lines, in your view?=20
>=20

Your last line made me laugh. =A0I believe that there has been much discussi=
on=20
in the past about Eliot's intent in the Notes and by the Notes. =A0At any ra=
te,=20
as to your question, what is Viv doing there speaking these lines on the roa=
d=20
to Emmaus or on an Antartic Expedition, what indeed is Eliot doing there?=20
=A0Eliot is journeying through modern life, i.e., the Waste Land, and on thi=
s=20
road, his wife is with him, wishing to know who has come between them. =A0Of=
=20
course, this is a but a possibility that occurred to me. =A0I shall have to=20
give it more thought. =A0=20

--part1_8.208f5f02.298aff70_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>
<BR>In a message dated 1/31/2002 12:53:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, ngish@us=
m.maine.edu writes:=20
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3DCITE style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-=
LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I'm curious about why this=20=
occurs to you since in this case the notes say it=20
<BR>is a reference to an Antarctic expedition and also to the journey to=20
<BR>Emmaus, and in section V one actually does get images of the journey and=
=20
<BR>of Christ and the whole Weston theme not really apparent much in the fir=
st=20
<BR>four part. =A0It is one passage where the notes seem to be rather litera=
l. What=20
<BR>is Viv doing in these specific lines, in your view?=20
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Your last line made me laugh. =A0I believe that there has been much disc=
ussion in the past about Eliot's intent in the Notes and by the Notes. =A0At=
 any rate, as to your question, what is Viv doing there speaking these lines=
 on the road to Emmaus or on an Antartic Expedition, what indeed is Eliot do=
ing there? =A0Eliot is journeying through modern life, i.e., the Waste Land,=
 and on this road, his wife is with him, wishing to know who has come betwee=
n them. =A0Of course, this is a but a possibility that occurred to me. =A0I=20=
shall have to give it more thought. =A0=20
<BR></XMP></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#0f0f0f" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_8.208f5f02.298aff70_boundary--