Dear Rick,
sorry I took a couple of days to get back to this.  I can't recall where I
got this notion that Paolo and Francesca never touched--I am sure that one
of my professors somewhere along the line passed this bit of information
on to me.  And looking again at my Mandelbaum, I do find that Francesca
says that "this one, who never shall be parted from me, while all his body
trembled, kissed my mouth" (not bad  even in a translation)(lines 135-6).
ANd this
"never shall be parted from me" does support the reading you have offered
(supported by many translators).  However, I am a little dubious, and only
partly because I don't readily give up long-held convictions :).  As Dante
describes the torment of the circle at the beginning of the Canto, he says

I reached a place where every light is muted
which bellows like the sea beneath a tempest
when it is battered by opposing winds
The hellish hurricane, which never rests,
drives on the spirits with its violence:
wheeling and pounding, it harasses them.
When they come up against the ruined slope,
then there are cries and wailing and lament,
and there they curse the force of the divine.

Now, while this isn't even the Inferno proper yet (but as you note, the
2nd ring of Limbo), it still sounds pretty harsh to me, and clearly
indicates that those who dwell there do so in misery.  ANd Francesca is
clearly depicted as miserable, so much so that Dante is "moved to tears of
sorrow and pity" (line 117)  When asked to tell her tale, she says "there
is no greater sorrow / than thinking upon a happy time / in misery . . ."
(121-123).  And she tells her tale "as one who weeps and speaks" (126).
Now, perhaps it's only the romantic in me, but it seems to me that if one
could spend eternity with the beloved, bound together, even in torment,
then even torment would not truly be torment, and surely the misery would
not be so great as that of which she speaks.  Granted, I can only infer,
but the opposing winds of great force would seem to me not to allow the
binding of these two together, though she does say that Paolo will never
be parted from her.  Maybe I got my image of the two eternally blown near
but never allowed to touch from the first translation I read, on which I
can't lay hands at the moment, and admmittedly was quite a cheap
translation by no one of any authority on the matter.  But I have
maintained that image of their suffering very vividly in my imagination.
And I still maintain that they are suffering punishment, which surely
would not include being bound together.  it seems much more appropriate to
me for them never to touch, like Tantalus in Greek mythology is
"tantalized" by food and drink almost at his very lips until he reaches to
consume it.  Such a punishment would seem to me to typify the sort of
suffering dante depicts here, which does seem rather severe, especially
for this early rung that isn't even in the Inferno proper (and actually
the sins of some of the others, as well as Paolo and Francesca would seem
to me, given the Catholic midset, to warrant something more severe than
Limbo!  But perhaps once again Dante is playing with things a bit: is
Ulysses' crime so much worse--as a false counselor, confined much further
down, as described in Canto 26--so much worse than adultery and lust?
hmmm.)
	Anyway, these are my thoughts.  I am almost tempted to ask an old
prof of mine who specializes in Dante.  I would guess he would cite the
same sources as you, but I can't help but think that I didn't entirely
invent such a vivid image that has stayed with me for nearly 20 years
(yes, I am just barely old enough to have been reading dante 20 years ago,
and NOT been a prodigy :).  Does it really make sense to you that such
misery as Dante describes coincides with the kind of satisfaction you
attribute to Francesca?
genuinely curious,
Venus