Dear Raphael,

I appreciate your comments on Gordon, who is a serious and scrupulous
biographer and who, ironically, seemed to me in the early two books to be
too defensive in the face of the facts she gave.

On Seymour-Jones, I want to make clear that I did not say she did her
homework properly but only that she did it.  I said that on the basis of
studying her citations and bibliography first.  I am only in Chapter 3, and it
is apparent that she does have a serious gap between the material she has
dug up and a tendency to overread it or simplify poetic personae as simply
Tom.  But one can read a biography with such flaws and learn a great deal.
I am fascinated with her sheer mass of previously unstudied material, which
I can differentiate from her sometimes simplistic interpretations.  I think you
would find it an important book even if it is deeply flawed, as it may well
turn out to be on the basis of the little I have read.

I want to add that I appreciate Rick Seddon's posting Jewel's very balanced
review because Jewel has long been committed to treating Eliot with
respect as a person, and she and I have often disagreed on reaction while
agreeing on meanings and sources, so her review is very important in this
discussion.   I think her article in the book Cassandra and I are editing will
be an equally important contribution to acknowledging Eliot's many sides.
Nancy