--part1_6d.19aa76ef.28c3f34a_boundary

[log in to unmask] writes:

> ? If the latter, then Eliot and Wagner do appear to be sharing a premiss -
> if you speak a European language as a foreigner because your real identity
> is fundamentally different, then such a deeply personal act as writing
> poetry in that language must involve hard work indeed - and achieving a

How can one speak English as a foreigner if one is born in England and
English is one's native language?

A friend of mine is infuriated because her two children, native-born
Americans who don't even speak Spanish, were transferred in school to classes
taught in Spanish, and filled with Spanish-speaking children who didn't know
English. The classes are supposed to "teach English to Hispanic children."

I guess some moron saw the last name (Rodriguez) and didn't stop to think
that plenty of people named Rodriguez are American citizens who've been in
this country for generations and do in fact speak English. They even speak
English as their native tongue.

pat

--part1_6d.19aa76ef.28c3f34a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 9/2/01 4:21:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,