  From: Gunnar Jauch=20
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 9:23 PM
  Subject: Re: OT: Gunnar

  am 29.09.2001 1:26 Uhr schrieb Thomas Kissane unter =

    I'm sorry to say I cannot find my old mails, nor locate Gunnar's =
email address.  Would anyone be able to forward it to me?  Thanks.

    Tom K

  Dear Tom,
  dear TSE listmembers,

  an awful event has struck Switzerland.=20

  On Thursday, a deranged man armed with assault rifles and grenades  =
burst into the cantonal parliamentary session of the affluent small town =
of Zug (20 miles south of Zurich),  killing 15 lawmakers and journalists =
before killing himself. It was by far the worst single death toll =
Switzerland has ever suffered in a shooting incident.

  My wife and I have a close friend in the Zug parliament. Like myself, =
Regula is an admirer of my wife's artistry in  dressmaking =
(http://www.ewcouture.ch). The news bulletin said that among the =
butchered were three women -- the long hours of incertitude were almost =
unbearable. The relief was enormous that she wasn't on the casualty =
list. But in the hospital there were a dozen of wounded, some in =
critical condition.

  This morning, I finally could talk to her on the phone. With a voice =
still shaking she told me she was all right, that  she got away. Only 5 =
minutes before the rampage began she was at the lectern, proposing a =
modification of a law on education. She said she surely would have been =
among the deceased if the killer would have come in earlier. She ducked =
behind a bench. All she got was a bullethole through her handbag. She =
said she fears that the horrid noise of the four endless minutes of =
shooting and screaming would be around her for the rest of her life...

  To me it looks as though September 11 has broken down all inhibitions. =
A wholly new threshold of violence has been crossed.

  Zug was a peaceful place -- there haven't been any killings in the =
last three years. Violent crimes were relatively rare all over our =
nation; there is a relaxed attitude to security within our borders. Even =
some of the highest politicians use public transportation on the way to =
their jobs, without any security men around them. Parliamentary sessions =
are always held with public attendance, often with schoolclasses =
listening in.

  All this will change. As of today, there are entry badges and metal =
detectors in our national parliament.=20

  Tonight I attended a peace rally in downtown Zurich (my last rally was =
way back in '69, against the war in 'Nam). There were speakers of many =
religions talking to a crowd of about 3000 people (a Rabbi sent his best =
wishes, he couldn't take part because of shabbes). The messages of the =
Buddist, the Hindu, the Moslem and the Tibetan were similar: to refrain =
from answering violence with more violence, to try to love thy enemy. =
References to Ghandi, to Martin Luther King. Kids wearing peace symbols, =
holding hands, joining in with old gits like me singing old and new =
peace hymns.

  When I got home the street was ablaze with the eery revolving light of =
squad cars and ambulances. Police officers all over the place. Seems =
that my neighbour has killed herself.

  It is not cold, but I shiver.

  Gunnar

  It ain't dark yet, but it's getting there
  Bob Dylan

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C14867.2CDB85A0

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: OT: Gunnar</TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear Gunnar:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am terribly sorry for the tragedy in=20
Switzerland.&nbsp; I was seeking your address to inquire if it had =
affected=20
you.&nbsp; I am sorry that it has, but pleased, at least, that it has =
not done=20
so more directly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had hoped also, =
when&nbsp;appropriate,&nbsp;to=20
follow up on one or two things from our recent conversation.&nbsp; When =
it is=20
convenient, please send me your email (for some reason, I cannot get it =
off your=20
post to the list when on my home computer.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Peace to you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tom K</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A [log in to unmask] =
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">Gunnar=20
  Jauch</A> </DIV>
  href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, September 28, =
2001 9:23=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: OT: Gunnar</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>am 29.09.2001 1:26 Uhr schrieb Thomas Kissane unter <A=20
  href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>:<BR><BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial>I'm sorry to say I =
cannot find my=20
    old mails, nor locate Gunnar's email address. &nbsp;Would anyone be =
able to=20
    forward it to me? &nbsp;Thanks.<BR></FONT></FONT><BR><FONT =
size=3D2><FONT=20
    face=3DArial>Tom K<BR></FONT></FONT><BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><FONT =
face=3DGeneva>Dear=20
  Tom,<BR>dear TSE listmembers,<BR><BR>an awful event has struck =
Switzerland.=20
  <BR><BR>On Thursday, a deranged man armed with assault rifles and =
grenades=20
  &nbsp;burst into the cantonal parliamentary session of the affluent =
small town=20
  of Zug (20 miles south of Zurich), &nbsp;killing 15 lawmakers and =
journalists=20
  before killing himself. It was by far the worst single death toll =
Switzerland=20
  has ever suffered in a shooting incident.<BR><BR>My wife and I have a =
close=20
  friend in the Zug parliament. Like myself, Regula is an admirer of my =
wife's=20
  artistry in &nbsp;dressmaking (http://www.ewcouture.ch). The news =
bulletin=20
  said that among the butchered were three women -- the long hours of=20
  incertitude were almost unbearable. The relief was enormous that she =
wasn't on=20
  the casualty list. But in the hospital there were a dozen of wounded, =
some in=20
  critical condition.<BR><BR>This morning, I finally could talk to her =
on the=20
  phone. With a voice still shaking she told me she was all right, that=20
  &nbsp;she got away. Only 5 minutes before the rampage began she was at =
the=20
  lectern, proposing a modification of a law on education. She said she =
surely=20
  would have been among the deceased if the killer would have come in =
earlier.=20
  She ducked behind a bench. All she got was a bullethole through her =
handbag.=20
  She said she fears that the horrid noise of the four endless minutes =
of=20
  shooting and screaming would be around her for the rest of her=20
  life...<BR><BR>To me it looks as though September 11 has broken down =
all=20
  inhibitions. A wholly new threshold of violence has been =
crossed.<BR><BR>Zug=20
  was a peaceful place -- there haven't been any killings in the last =
three=20
  years. Violent crimes were relatively rare all over our nation; there =
is a=20
  relaxed attitude to security within our borders. Even some of the =
highest=20
  politicians use public transportation on the way to their jobs, =
without any=20
  security men around them. Parliamentary sessions are always held with =
public=20
  attendance, often with schoolclasses listening in.<BR><BR>All this =
will=20
  change. As of today, there are entry badges and metal detectors in our =

  national parliament. <BR><BR>Tonight I attended a peace rally in =
downtown=20
  Zurich (my last rally was way back in '69, against the war in 'Nam). =
There=20
  were speakers of many religions talking to a crowd of about 3000 =
people (a=20
  Rabbi sent his best wishes, he couldn't take part because of shabbes). =
The=20
  messages of the Buddist, the Hindu, the Moslem and the Tibetan were =
similar:=20
  to refrain from answering violence with more violence, to try to love =
thy=20
  enemy. References to Ghandi, to Martin Luther King. Kids wearing peace =

  symbols, holding hands, joining in with old gits like me singing old =
and new=20
  peace hymns.<BR><BR>When I got home the street was ablaze with the =
eery=20
  revolving light of squad cars and ambulances. Police officers all over =
the=20
  place. Seems that my neighbour has killed herself.<BR><BR>It is not =
cold, but=20
  I shiver.<BR><BR><BR>Gunnar<BR><BR><BR><FONT size=3D1>It ain't dark =
yet, but=20
  it's getting there<BR>Bob=20
  =
Dylan<BR></FONT></FONT><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BOD=