In a message dated Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:35:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> In a message dated 9/27/2001 11:25:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> As you clearly do not know anything about it, perhaps you could restrain your more inappropriate tendencies.

KATE TROY RESPONDS:

<<You're the one with the inappropriate tendencies. At any rate, I was not disputing the fact that Eliot liked to drink and smoke. My comment was directed to your supposition that it's "evil" or at the very least "very bad behavior" to drink and smoke. Not so at all - which attitude I know will be particularly upsetting and incomprehensible to a politically correct person such as yourself.>>

I feel I can trump Kate's arguement by employing the upper case to write, "NO, *YOU'RE* THE ONE WITH THE INAPPROPRIATE TENDENCIES."

I don't see how one can miss the distinction between "contributing to poor health" and "evil" or "very bad."  Most, perhaps excepting members of holistic health cults, would recognize that they mean very different things.

I don't know to what extent his personal habits (which also included a love of cheese) contributed to Eliot's poor health.  As a general proposition, it is tough to deny that smoking and, beyond a certain point, drinking (and eating cheese) will do so.

I think most people would acknowledge that, while recognizing that Eliot's indulgence in these activities does not, by itself, make him a bad person.

Tom K