I think you are right that for him it was a resolution of a kind.  Much of his
objection to psychology was that it limited resolution to individual emotions.
 Vittoz's method can be read as reconnecting with something larger. (not
that it must be)  But I do think that therapy based in talking out one's pain
is different from controlling it, as psychoanalysis differs from behaviorist
models.  I am not qualified to judge the degree to which either effects
"cures" or greater emotional health.  But I think that Eliot's drinking and
smoking and often reported strange behavior suggests that he had to
sustain what Pat noted as his "coping mechanisms."  Unfortunately they
also contributed to his poor health.
Nancy