Wouldn't you know it.  Right after posting about the Eliot portrait I
discover that the building housing the National Portrait Gallery is
closed until the fall of 2004.  But there are a number of exhibits on
tour and the Eliot is in the one entitled "A Brush With History".
This is described at:
    http://www.npg.si.edu/exh/brush/index1.htm

The left frame of the above page contains a stupid, whopping half meg
of an image of text.  Haven't these guys heard of the Americans with
Disabled Computers Act? Sure looks purty though.  Then I had to use a
search engine to find the schedule for the exhibition because the NPG
doesn't have it on its site.  You'll think there would be a link to a
page with the schedule when they mention that it is on tour.  It's
late and I guess I'm grumpy.  Still, the site is tons better then the
Rijksmuseum.

The Eliot portrait **MIGHT** also appear in this book:
    A Brush with History
    Paintings from the National Portrait  Gallery
    Carolyn Kinder Carr and Ellen G. Miles
    University Press of New England
    A major book on the art of portraiture in America.
    http://www.dartmouth.edu/acad-inst/upne/1-58465-080-X.html

The tour schedule is from:
    http://www.dartmouth.edu/acad-inst/upne/NPGSchedule.html

"A Brush With History" Exhibition Itinerary

January 27, 2001 through April 8, 2001
North Carolina Museum of History
Raleigh, North Carolina

May 4, 2001 through July 1, 2001
Tennessee State Museum
Nashville, Tennessee

August 6, 2001 through October 14, 2001
The National Museum of Western Art
Tokyo, Japan

November 16, 2001 through January 27, 2002
Speed Art Museum
Louisville, Kentucky

February 22, 2002 through May 5, 2002
Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts