--part1_147.22987ca.28e2dbdf_boundary

In a message dated 9/26/01 1:34:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> But I think you are right that Eliot would have preferred it because it did
> not
> probe deep feeling so much as force "rational" control, a notion I think
> Eliot
> both needed and wanted.  Whether it was a very effective method is
> another matter; it depends on the results one wants.  I would think the
> sources of the emotional stress are not so much removed as deeply
> suppressed.

Well, it was effective in the sense that he never had any more "nervous
breakdowns," whatever that umbrella term means. Maybe in his case what people
mean today when they speak of feeling stressed out. Unlike Vivienne, he never
got picked up wandering the streets, or talking incoherently.

You're of course right that some therapeutic results are more superficial
than others. But even if he'd had the temperament or inclination for any kind
of intensive therapy, I wonder if he'd have had the financial resources.
Psychoanalysis, especially if prolonged, can be terribly expensive.  Also,
for better or worse, he might have had other coping mechanisms. I've been
told his drinking was really quite heavy.

pat

--part1_147.22987ca.28e2dbdf_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 9/26/01 1:34:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">But I think you are right that Eliot would have preferred it because it did not
<BR>probe deep feeling so much as force "rational" control, a notion I think Eliot
<BR>both needed and wanted. &nbsp;Whether it was a very effective method is
<BR>another matter; it depends on the results one wants. &nbsp;I would think the
<BR>sources of the emotional stress are not so much removed as deeply
<BR>suppressed.
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>Well, it was effective in the sense that he never had any more "nervous breakdowns," whatever that umbrella term means. Maybe in his case what people mean today when they speak of feeling stressed out. Unlike Vivienne, he never got picked up wandering the streets, or talking incoherently.
<BR>
<BR>You're of course right that some therapeutic results are more superficial than others. But even if he'd had the temperament or inclination for any kind of intensive therapy, I wonder if he'd have had the financial resources. Psychoanalysis, especially if prolonged, can be terribly expensive. &nbsp;Also, for better or worse, he might have had other coping mechanisms. I've been told his drinking was really quite heavy.
<BR>
<BR>pat
<BR></B></FONT></HTML>

--part1_147.22987ca.28e2dbdf_boundary--