I've read the book.  Vittoz uses methods based on an assumption of
dissociation:  he claims there are two brains, and when one wanders it
must be brought back under the control of the rational brain.  He does this
by very specific practices and rules.  I don't think it looks like meditation to
me, though something like that is a part of it--the ways of concentrating.
But I think you are right that Eliot would have preferred it because it did not
probe deep feeling so much as force "rational" control, a notion I think Eliot
both needed and wanted.  Whether it was a very effective method is
another matter; it depends on the results one wants.  I would think the
sources of the emotional stress are not so much removed as deeply
suppressed.
Nancy