Dear Corey,

I don't think any of us are calm or collected, and we all have to deal with it
in the best way we can.  Your fear is understandable, but so are the
be an unfortunate and unproductive way of handling fear, not at you
personally.

I have found it very difficult to stop crying and to focus on anything else.
We are all together in weeping.  Please do not feel that you need to
apologize.  I think for all of us on this list, one small help is poetry.  How
strange to call it "small."

<bold>Candles in Babylon</bold>

Through the midnight streets of Babylon

between the steel towers of their arsenals,

between the torture castles with no windows,

we race by barefoot, holding tight

our candles, trying to shield

the shivering flames, crying

"Sleepers Awake!"

				 hoping

the rhyme's promise was true,

that we may return

from the place of terror

home to a calm dawn and

the work we had just begun.

-----Denise Levertov

</bold></color>when time of crisis hits, one's mind does not always think in rational

terms. after thinking about the so-called "prophecy" a little more, i find

that it is too ambiguous to fit just one event. the emails here have

helped, as has my talking to other people. i apologize for bringing the

topic up; i just wanted to see what other people thought. apparently, some

people don't get scared when things like this happen, and are calm cool

and collected. sadly, i'm not one of those people. i do not believe that

responding in a very human way to a catastrophe and the events, political

or otherwise, surrounding that catastrophe make me (or anyone else on this

list or otherwise) a "depraved idiot." i can't wait until this all passes

and we can start talking about eliot again, and insult each other about

things that "really" matter.

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Marcia Karp wrote:

> > I'm not

> > familiar with Nostrodamus' work or his style so I obviously don't know

> > first hand, but Mr. Hoag stated that this was sheer fiction. What sort

> > of depraved idiot would feel obliged to exploit this sense of

> > vulnerability, is absolutely beyond me. This event has left me feeling

> > disgusted and incensed, so if I could reduce the fear and panic this

> > fool's trying to perpetuate... well, I'd like to reduce it. My

> > apologies and condolences...

> "Corey M. Taylor" <<[log in to unmask]> had written

> > i recently subscribed to this list because i love t.s.e. and i am

> > taking graduate seminar on "the waste land" and its main sources. ...

> > i don't know how much stock everyone takes in prophecies and religion,

> > but i came across something tonight that literally made me shake with

> > fear, as corny as that sounds. nostrodamus made a prophecy hundreds of

> > years ago that "two brothers" would be "torn apart by chaos, the great

> > fortress will stand, but the great leader will succumb." this is, of

> > course, his prediction about the attacks on the WTC and Pentagon. here

> > is a recent (as of about 11 pm on wednesday night) headline from

> > CNN.com : "Sources: 2 brothers among hijackers." i don't mean to

> > frighten anyone or start anything, but this is odd to say the least.

> > whatever religion you all belong to, just pray that things get better

> > before its too late. god bless.

> Dear Brooke,

>     I'm not sure who the is the particular depraved idiot you are

>     referring to.

> If Nostradamus, he wrote his so-called prophecies in 1555.  If Corey,

> let's hope his or her attendance in graduate school helps in evaluating

> the words of others and in considering his or her own more carefully.

> Marcia

<nofill>