--part1_128.40ff503.28c3a7a2_boundary

In a message dated 9/2/01 3:44:05 AM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> >> Madam:
>>
>> You have an admirable moral instinct, but an undisciplined mind.  It is
>> Julius who is quoting these things, as evidence of Eliot's anti-Semitism.
>> The question is whether or not the passages he cites, read together in the
>> context of his arguments, support his thesis.  If this sort of discussion
>> offends you, you either do not understand it, or are irrational.

Sir:

Methinks you are the irrational one.  I simply told a story that came to mind
relating to the idea that a person of a minority group cannot write as a
general citizen of his society.  As to whether Eliot was anti-Semitic, I
don't think his statement about Rosenberg, whether taken to be a derogatory
or complimentary, will answer this question, as often a person without any
real prejudice in his being may make a thoughtless remark or tell a tasteless
joke about a certain ethnic group.

--part1_128.40ff503.28c3a7a2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/2/01 3:44:05 AM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask]