Tom,
    I think you read E's "is almost a miracle" to mean "is approaching
greatness."  (You've changed it to "miraculous.")  Julius begins by reading as
you do, but not as praise for the accomplishment -- as qualified and
patronizing surprise that a sub-human could create such works.

     "'That a Jew can do this!' registers the surprise of the
     anti-Semite."  [Rick P's citation of the passage follows my
     comments.]

Notice that he quotes the exclamation.  While he doesn't claim these are E's
words, the effect of the punctuation and the train of thought in the paragraph
is to elide the hypothetical bigot with Eliot in a way that, regardless of the
content, would be criticized in an undergraduate paper by all the professors I
know.

    By the end of the passage, Julius places E's miracle phrase into a setting
that changes its meaning.  Now it means "who would a thunk it possible?".

     The poetry of Isaac Rosenberg ... does not only owe its distinction
     to its being Hebraic: but because it is in Hebraic it is a
     contribution to English literature.  For a Jewish poet to be able to
     be able to write like a Jew, in western Europe and in a western
     European language, is almost a miracle.    [TSE]

     He was able, by 'almost a miracle', to write in English 'like a
     Jew'.  [Rick's citation of Julius]

Can you see now how J reconciles Wagner and E?

   As required in such discussions, my disclaimer: I mean only to understand
the question Tom posed about Julius and his two sources, not to comment on the
larger, more important, question.

Marcia

Thomas Kissane wrote:

> I still don't see how Julius reconciles the fact that Wagner thinks Jews in
> Western societies cannot write as anything but Jews, while Eliot thinks it
> "miraculous" when they do precisely that.

[Rick P's transcription]