Dear Marcia et al,

So much for poetry conferring  immortality!  John McCrae's anthologized
verse may boil down to one poem but In Flanders Fields is his
alone....surely there are too few  Mc's in poetry indexes to start
eliminating them.

By a complete quirk I was speaking in Flanders  last November as part of
Outenarde's  twinning arrangement with Hastings,[ the belligerent town on
the south coast of England.]

 I  was asked ( native NYC)   to lay  Hasting's wreath of indestructable
red paper  poppies at the American memorial as  a small part of an
extensive service of remembrance.  All of the Belgian tributes were wreaths
of beautiful  chrysanthemum....much more in keeping with Macrea's poem
which  was read at town hall in both English and Belgian (?)   and spoken
with real feeling..............

Many thanks for the Rosenberg poems.  A quick survey of my anthologies came
up zero for his work.
Maire McQueeney

   There is more to English War poetry than Brooke's Flanders.  Next