--part1_89.b90f7b2.28c5b251_boundary

[log in to unmask] writes:

> I still don't see how Julius reconciles the fact that Wagner thinks Jews in
> Western societies cannot write as anything but Jews, while Eliot thinks it
> "miraculous" when they do precisely that.

Tom, Julius has a new book out on Jewish art, and publisher's weekly said it
read like a hastily put together lawyer's brief...which in my opinion is also
true of his first book. If what he's saying doesn't make sense to you, why
not file it away as exactly that? I thought a lot of the things he said
didn't make sense. Some people make more sense than others.

> Passing for the moment on their respective merits, the difference between
> these position seems so obvious to me, I am baffled by Julius' suggestion
> that they are in the same ballpark.

If it's of this much concern to you, maybe you'd better read the book.

pat

--part1_89.b90f7b2.28c5b251_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial Narrow" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 9/3/01 9:40:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
<BR>[log in to unmask] writes:
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I still don't see how Julius reconciles the fact that Wagner thinks Jews in
<BR>Western societies cannot write as anything but Jews, while Eliot thinks it
<BR>"miraculous" when they do precisely that.
<BR>Tom, Julius has a new book out on Jewish art, and publisher's weekly said it
<BR>read like a hastily put together lawyer's brief...which in my opinion is also
<BR>true of his first book. If what he's saying doesn't make sense to you, why
<BR>not file it away as exactly that? I thought a lot of the things he said
<BR>didn't make sense. Some people make more sense than others.
<BR>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Passing for the moment on their respective merits, the difference between
<BR>these position seems so obvious to me, I am baffled by Julius' suggestion
<BR>that they are in the same ballpark.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>If it's of this much concern to you, maybe you'd better read the book.
<BR>
<BR>pat
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_89.b90f7b2.28c5b251_boundary--