Tom

What do you mean by "rich oral tradition"?   Is the modern urban myth part
of this rich oral tradition?  When does common gossip become "rich oral
tradition",  when the common gossipers are illiterate and members of a
government defined minority?  Can a visually identifiable but illiterate
member of the majority have a "rich oral tradition"   i.e..,  are Red Necks
as good a place to find "rich oral tradition" as Hispanics in a barrio?

I think most illiterates have no more a "rich oral tradition" than most
literates regularly read well crafted mind expanding literature.  Because of
this I think that it would be difficult to find a"rich oral tradition" as a
niche within a larger literate one.  The minds that would be drawn into
intimate interrelationship with a "rich oral tradition" would be attracted
to the greater universe of literacy.  Literacy is not that difficult.  As
Phillis Wheatley, illiterate slave turned poet, showed,  the attraction of
literacy to capable minds is irresistible.

I think well crafted and mind expanding literature acts directly in the
lives of a literate and thoughtful minority.  It acts less directly and more
indirectly in the greater portion of a literate society and indirectly in
the lives of every illiterate.  Literature is bound to affect all who
directly or indirectly contact it.  An example would be the number of
Americans who know of the Constitution, are capable of reading it and have,
that literate majority who have not and those Americans who know of the
constitution and could not read it.  All have been affected y it.  Another
example would be the elite position of the professional scribe in highly
illiterate countries.  Literature and especially good literature seems
irresistable to humans.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM, USA