--=====================_19177353==_.ALT

Dear List,

  The latest issue of Essays in Criticism is available online, tho it may
be that you can access it that  way only if you or your employer (school)
subscribes. I'm not sure. The article that caught my eye was:

Book Review.
Eliot's Dark Angel: Intersections of Life and Art Ronald Schuchard
Jennifer Formichelli, pp. 371-377.
http://www3.oup.co.uk/escrit/hdb/Volume_51/Issue_03/510371.sgm.abs.html

In it Jennifer quotes TSE on Canon Cruikshank,  "whose book _Philip Massinger_

         'is a work of scholarship; and the advantage of good scholarship
is that it
         presents us with evidence which is an invitation to the critical
faculty of the
         reader: it bestows a method, rather than a judgement....Mr.
Cruikshank at
         least presents us with facts which are capable of generalization.
This is a
         service of value; and it is therefore wholly a compliment to the
author to
         say that his appendices are as valuable as the essay itself.

This interesting snippet, and I would say the whole review, relate to our
brief discussion of scholarship and its role(s) of a few weeks back.

I enjoyed the review, Jennifer, and found the conclusion well met. However,
I'll leave it at that  for now so as not to prejudice other readers.

Cheers to all,
Ken Armstrong
--=====================_19177353==_.ALT

Dear List,<br>
&nbsp;The latest issue of Essays in Criticism is available online, tho it
may be that you can access it that&nbsp; way only if you or your employer
(school) subscribes. I'm not sure. The article that caught my eye
was:<br>
Book Review. <br>
Eliot's Dark Angel: Intersections of Life and Art Ronald Schuchard <br>
Jennifer Formichelli, pp. 371-377. <br>
&quot;whose book _Philip Massinger_<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>'is a work
of scholarship; and the advantage of good scholarship is that it<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>presents
us with evidence which is an invitation to the critical faculty of the
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>reader: it
bestows a method, rather than a judgement....Mr. Cruikshank at<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>least
presents us with facts which are capable of generalization. This is a
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>service of
value; and it is therefore wholly a compliment to the author to <br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>say that
his appendices are as valuable as the essay itself.<br>
This interesting snippet, and I would say the whole review, relate to our
brief discussion of scholarship and its role(s) of a few weeks back.
I enjoyed the review, Jennifer, and found the conclusion well met.
However, I'll leave it at that&nbsp; for now so as not to prejudice other
readers.<br>
Cheers to all,<br>
Ken Armstrong</html>