How do you deal with problems like the following (none of which are
originated by me):

Intention is not what art necessarily reveals or expresses.  Consider Eliot's
claim, for example, that the artist has something to get off his chest and
does not know what it is until he does (paraphrase) or the notion of the
"intentional fallacy" or the claim that language is always slipping (or in
Eliot's words "Words strain,/ Crack and sometimes break, under the
burden/ Under the tension, slip, slide, perish,/ Decay with imprecision, will
not stay in place" so that poetry (and by extension, art) cannot exactly
represent intention?  Or in the terms of deconstruction, it is always
subverting itself and representing more or other or contradictions of what it
may "intend."

The three "communities" you describe are not necessarily separate except
theoretically.  Eliot was both poet and critic, and he was a Ph.D. who
lectured in universities.  In the US, where there is no other way to support
art, artists are very often academics.  "The rest of us" may well create or
teach.

And my question would be, "How does this tell us what 'art' IS as opposed
to how we agree on it or not?"
Nancy