In a message dated 7/23/2001 8:14:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 > Will someone else please write the post on the significance of this
 > French poetry and translate into English ;-)

 I guess I'll have to do it.

Perhaps everybody has become intimidated or anxious.  I can understand.  I
studied "French" in school from 7th grade on through college.  I then married
a man who was born and raised in Paris (the son of an American businessman;
he has no French "blood") and who did not come to the US to live until the
age of 25. So then, I have a good basis in "correct" French as well as
"conversational" French.  I remember our first trip to Paris, about 7 years
ago.  Two of my husband's sisters live in this city and after a few days of
visited with them, we rented a room at a hotel on the left bank.  After a day
of going about, I left my husband to rest in our hotel room while I went out
shopping.  For some strange reason, he didn't feel like perusing boutiques
featuring women's clothing.  After a couple of hours and more than a couple
of purchases, I noticed that it was getting dark.  I became a little anxious
as I didn't exactly know my location and going to the woman at the counter of
the store, I asked her in perfect French how to get back to our hotel located
dans la Rue .  ...  She smiled at me and told me, but every word she spoke
was gibberish.  I suddenly knew no French.  Fortunately for me, a college
girl in the store came over to me and said in broken English that she would
take me there.  My husband was sitting at a cafe across the street from our
hotel and saw this teenage girl leading me like a blind person back to our
hotel.  I had been but two or three blocks away, by the way.  My husband,
hearing the story from the girl, laughed and held me protectively.  I sat
down.  By the time the waiter came over, I had recovered some of my
composure.  Un vin blanc, I said.  Later on that night, I would talk with
people we met about politics, about Jim Morrison . . . in French. . .