------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C10534.FD454C60

Kate:

Are we sure of the context within which TSE gave EP the notebook?  Could =
it have been a casual "I'm not sure what I've got here but it's driving =
me crazy.  I can't seem to get it right.  See what you think".  Neither =
Pound nor TSE may have been aware of the mother lode which TSE had asked =
EP to dig in.  Then again it might have been simply a gesture of =
friendship, done on the spur of the moment by TSE to continue a literary =
link with Pound who had given up on the London scene.  TSE might have =
had no idea what Pound would hand back to him.  Their immediate =
subsequent written conversations reflect a rather pleased surprise to =
me.  They seem almost boyishly strutting.  But then Pound often seems to =
be strutting.

Pound was very much used by many authors as a sounding board for their =
work.  In fact someone has said that a superb writing course could be =
had for ream of paper, some stamped envelopes and Pound's address.

 The very final draft of TWL had to have been given to Criterion =
Magazine I would think.  I am as curious as you about what went between =
the marked up notebook that Pound gave back to TSE and what we have as =
TWL.  There are many suppositions of sequences out there but no =
absolutes.  John Quinn would have gotten a copy exactly that of the =
Criterion version plus the appended notes.  Perhaps an intermediate =
version lies with the drafts of the notes where ever those are.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM, USA