Rick Seddon wrote:

> And to understand TSE's  poetic method involved in "connections" of this
> sort one need only read TSE's introduction to St John Perse's "Anabasis".

Thanks for the citation .

> Traditional connection does not occur except mechanically through adjacency.
> Instead  one or both of two things can then  happen in the reader's mind.
>         a)  the written adhacent lines in total can trigger a separate and
>              largely unrelated new idea, i.e. the poet may deliberately trip
>              a cultural set of assumptions;
>         b)  the written lines can be amalgamated into a "super"  idea.

> Use of actual literary connective devices would prevent the intuitive leap
> of imagination in the reader's mind that results in either or both of the
> above.

I don't see how this is true.  Poems have long echoed within themselves.  Venus
spoke of "internal allusion, across the body of the poem itself."  Rhyme,
subject matter, alliteration, meter, stanza form all are devices for
"traditional connection."

> This intuitive leap of imagination and understanding is part of the
> enjoyment of modern poetry.  The reader, however, must have confidence in
> his/her "leap"  and such only comes from experience in reading poetry.

While agreeing, I'd not limit this pleasure to "modern poetry."

M.