Rickard Parker wrote:

> Will someone else please write the post on the significance of this
> French poetry and translate into English ;-)

I guess I'll have to do it.

> Reine, reine, gueux eveille.
> Gomme a gaine, en horreur, taie
>
> (Queen, Queen, arouse the rabble
> Who use their girdles, horrors, as pillow slips.)

Nope.

Rain, rain, go way
come again another day.

It has been many, many years since the French class where I was
introduced to the great piece of French literature known as "Mots
d'Heures: Gousses, Rames" by Luis d'Antin van Rooten.  That means that
my memory will likely fail me but, as I remember the thesis of the book,
it was that the author came across in the attic of his family home a
number of poems written in what appeared to be an archaic French dialect.
The author remembered these from his childhood when his English uncle
recited the poems.  He assumed that someone had written these down.  He
then annotated and interpreted the poems.

These were actually Mother Goose rhymes (Mots d'Heures: Gousses, Rames)
of which one was "Un Petit d'un Petit"

Un petit d'un petit
S'étonne aux Halles
Un petit d'un petit