Thank you all for your responses to my query about the possible pun in line
202 of TWL. I realize it was way off the point of Rick's original challenge
last Monday, though at least one person graciously picked up that gauntlet.
I was not trying to dispute any scholarship on TWL, but to enquire how the
meaning of the poem and its parts have been determined by its serious
readers. The poem contains many "allusions" which fall outside my frames of
reference, and NOT just in French!! So the possiblility of another
interpretation of the line in question was intriguing. (I did find a
translation of "coupole" that listed "cathedral" as one of its English
counterparts, along with "cupola" and "dome".)

"Shakespherian Rag", "Son of man . . . where the sun beats", "Od' und leer
das Meer" sort of puns the previous line "Looking into the heart of light"
(if you "leer" at a "mirror"), "they had a hot gammon,/And they asked me in
to dinner, to get the beauty of it hot" (gammon = cured ham, or, nonsense
talk), "the loitering heirs [airs?] of city directors" . . . well, Eliot was
a complicated guy. Glad this list is available.

By the way, on a personal allusive note, John Lennon was mistaken; "Je suis
le Morse!"

Steve