From: Steve Morse [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2001 7:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Puns and the point

Still, is there an "accepted" rationale or interpretation for line 202
of
"The Waste Land" being stolen, or expropriated, from Verlaine's poem and

kept in French rather translating it to English? If the poem is
determined
to allude to something with that line, an English translation of the
line
would maintain that allusion, wouldn't it? But keeping the line in
French
allows for the pun "voix" to make that allusion more ambiguous, if not
humourous. Ambiguity certainly seems to be the lifeblood of "The Waste
Land."

Still curious,
Steve