Steve Morse wrote:

> But keeping the line in French allows for the pun "voix" to make that
> allusion more ambiguous, if not humourous. Ambiguity certainly seems
> to be the lifeblood of "The Waste Land."

Sometimes Steve you just can't get an answer here.

The problem you are having is that you are not getting an answer to
the French translation.  As far as I can tell a childish parson would
be something like "voix enfantin" (and I'm taking your word on the the
voix/parson translation.)  Since I don't think "d'enfants" can be
transposed to "childish" I think a French speaker would only see a pun
of "ces voix d'enfants" being a play on "the children's parson."

I don't *believe* either Verlaine or Eliot intended their readers too
see a pun here.  French speakers are welcome to correct me and also
beat me with a baguette.

Regards,
   Rick Parker