Rick,

    The line you quote, 'By the waters of Leman I sat down and wept', is an
allusion. Here is a pun, from Shakespeare:

    'Is this a dagger I see before me,/ The handle toward my hand?'
(hand/handle a favourite, see 'Titus Andronicus' if you can stomach it)

    'Now is the winter of our discontent/Made glorious summer by this son of
York'. (pun-sun/son)

    'The bare ruined choirs where late the sweet birds sang' ('choirs of
men'/'choirs of birds'/ choir, place, choir, group/ see W Empson)

    'That lie will lie so heavy on thy sword' ('lie/lie', one of
Shakespeare's richest puns)

    'Honest, honest Iago' ('honest', truth-telling, 'honest', good chap, see
W Empson)

    And so on. I quote from memory.

    A few allusions:

    'You! hypocrite lecteur, mon semblable, mon frere'. --TWL

    'Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds'. --Shakespeare (Sonnets,
Edward III)

    'Pray for us now and in the hour of our birth'--Animula/Ave Maria

    'Come live with me and be my love'--Marlowe, Raleigh, Donne

    'You don't want madhouse and the whole thing there.' --W Empson
(allusion to King Lear)

Etc. (I quote from memory: please excuse).
    I hope this helps, in the hope of straightening things out.

Yours, Jennifer