am 17.07.01 14:44 Uhr schrieb Rickard Parker unter [log in to unmask]:

> On the children singing in the dome I decided to send along this quote:
>
> This verse paragraph ends with a variation of a bawdy ballad and a
> quotation from a poem about the Holy Grail.  Eliot says in a note that
> the ballad was reported to him from Australia.  In several versions,
> Mrs. Porter and her daughter are prostitutes who wash themselves after
> visits from customers.  The poem, Paul Verlaine's "Parsifal," tells of
> the knight's mastery of the fires of lust (including lust for young boys
> with small breasts), his conquest of a beautiful woman and his healing
> of the wounded king.  The poem ends with Parsifal worshiping the chalice
> while the boys' choir sings in the dome.  " Et, O ces voix d'enfants,
> chantant dans la coupole!" In Wagner's Parzival, which Verlaine has in
> mind, the choir at the ceremony preceding the restoration of the wounded
> king and the lifting of the curse from the waste land.
>
> Reading The Waste Land: Modernism and the Limits of Interpretation
> Jewel Spears Brooker and Joesph Bentley
> p. 135
>
> In their book a longer paragraph follows on the same subjects but is
> interpretative.
>
> Verlaine's poem itself follows in French:
>
> Parsifal a vaincu les Filles, leur gentil
> Babil et la luxure amusante -- et sa pente
> Vers la Chair de garçon vierge que cela tente
> D'aimer les seins légers et ce gentil babil;
> Il a vaincu la Femme belle, au coeur subtil,
> Étalant ses bras frais et sa gorge excitante;
> Il a vaincu l'Enfer et rentre sous sa tente
> Avec un lourd trophée à son bras puéril,
> Avec la lance qui perça le Flanc suprême!
> Il a guéri le roi, le voici roi lui-même,
> Et prêtre du tres saint Tréntiel.
> En robe d'or il adore, gloire et symbole,
> Le vase pur où resplendit le Sang reel.
> -- Et, ô ces voix d'enfants chantant dans la coupole!
>

> Regards,
> Rick Parker

To all:

It's too bad that the TSE list archives are still unavailable in their
entity; we've been through this topic various times!

B.t.w.:

I remember that on my first reading of TWL I thought the reference to "la
coupole" might have something to do with the famous Paris restaurant on
Montparnasse "La Coupole" -- TSE surely knew the grand space, its impressive
central dome and excellent seafood.

Cheers,

Gunnnar