Print

Print


Dear Rick,

I think it needs to be noted that section V was left untouched precisely 
because it was a single coherent unit--the only one--and written as a single 
fast piece at the very end of the process.  The other sections are collages 
of disparate material from different periods and with different styles.  The 
sheer fact that Pound left the more or less "coherent" section with a kind of 
narrative and narrator says as much about his own assumptions as the fact 
that he cut other sections.  And Eliot's judgment of Pound's effect is not 
necessarily definitive, especially given that Eliot said such different things 
at different times about how it all happened and what he was doing.  I say 
all this because I think the effect of your argument could be to claim that a 
unified structure is something Eliot was in fact trying for and Pound helped 
him create.  I do not see any evidence of that in the composition history of 
the text.  And Eliot was quite capable of doing that on his own if he set out 
to do it, at least he had done it many times before--if one sees any of his 
work as doing that.
Best,
Nancy




Date sent:      	Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:57:19 -0400 (EDT)
Send reply to:  	[log in to unmask]
From:           	Rickard A Parker <[log in to unmask]>
To:             	[log in to unmask]
Subject:        	Re:  Pound and the Wasteland

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I have recently been studying Eliot at length and am concentrating on
> the Wasteland in particular.  A question: What was the extent of Pound's
> influence on this work, in a technical sense, and not one of
> inspiration.  Could any of the work have come directly from Pound, or
> did he serve the role of acting editor, simply trimming and shaping the
> drafts?

Look at http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/a_f/eliot/composition.htm
The web page is entitled "On The Composition of The Waste Land" and has
much on Pound's editing written by Richard Ellman, Hugh Kenner, Lyndall
Gordon, Marjorie Perloff, Louis L. Martz, and last on the page but
certainly not last in TSE listers' book, David Chinitz.

For example, attributed to Marjorie Perloff, "The Poetics of
Indeterminacy: Rimbaud to Cage," Princeton, Princeton UP, 1981:

    In discussing Pound's "operation upon The Waste Land," Eliot notes:

        I have sometimes tried to perform the same sort of maieutic task;
        and I know that one of the temptations against which I have to be
        on guard, is trying to re-write somebody's poem in the way I
        should have written it myself if I had wanted to write that poem.
        Pound never did that: he tried first to understand what one was
        attempting to do, and then tried to help one do it in one's own
        way.

    This is an important distinction. Pound did not try to transform The
    Waste Land into the sort of city poem he himself might have written.
    Rather, he helped Eliot to write it in his own way. "What the Thunder
    Said," for example, is left virtually untouched by Pound, for here
    Eliot discovered his quest theme and brought it to a swift and
    dramatic conclusion.


Regards,
   Rick Parker