Hello to all,

I am new to this list, and not a literary person by trade... because I am a
scientist, an engineer  in silicon device manufacturing.

My interest started a few months ago, by chance, I did not know anything
about Eliot before that... but this is the way new interests are born, and
now most of my attention and free time are centered on The Waste Land. I am
committed to translate Eliot in Italian, as a present for a late friend.

This is why I decided to join the list. Please forgive me if my comments
are naive, not particularly learned.

And now let me try with the connection of the verses:

           201 They wash their feet in soda water
           202 Et, O ces voix d'enfants, chantant dans la coupole!
           203 Twit twit twit

<wash their feet>, could be read <wash their intimate parts>, as in some
sort of street song.
Mrs Potter and her daughter making preparation for sex. Are they
prostitutes? I have read about this possibility somewhere.

Then the celestial voices of children choir, a very positive vision of the
sexual act. The subjective  experience of Sweeney, maybe?

And the last verse is a bird's voice, followed by a strong recall to the
change of Philomel, described in the preceding section of the poem.

Then, we could say that the three verses refer tothree different
grammatical subjects, and their connecting thread is sex, in different
contexts: from detached trade to positively involved pleasure, to flight
from the extreme of violence and rape.

Again Eliot exploring the path from real life (so happily simmering in sin
that it does not even need to pay attention to the possibility of
salvation), followed by the illusion of liberation in the form of an
ephemeral pleasure. After this, a new set of verses starts, recalling the
difficult gift given by the gods to Philomel, freed from the barbarian king
by her metamorphosys into a bird. Is this already her redemption? is she saved?

Am I going too far?

and who is Tereu?

Regards

Federica