Dear Jennifer,

It means that the way words make individuals "feel" is not all they mean
and may not even have anything to do with what they "mean" in a specific
context.  Eliot's words (all words) have meanings determined by centuries
of convention and encoded in dictionaries; they are not simply touchstones
for individual feelings.  That words carry differing implications and
connotations within varying ranges is also true, of course.  I was merely
noting that the words he chose are both WORDS apart from our responses
and HIS words, not exclusively our responses.

Or, in other words, a poem can mean many things but not simply anything--
whether we feel it or not.

Best,
Nancy