Try 3 at getting this to TSE.

Nancy Gish wrote:

> I am wondering if my message came through from last night because in
> fact we do know some ages.  As I noted, the young man carbuncular is
> twenty-one, as Eliot says he is.

Hmmm.  Let's assume that Eliot wrote the Tiresias section in November
1921 (I'm too lazy now to check.) Assume also that the man just turned
21.  Then at the Armistice he just turned 18.  Did Eliot really envision
that his young man was a veteran?  I would guess not.  I suspect that
Eliot saw him as remaining in England and getting a fairly **good** job
during the war because there were few men not in the army.  At the war's
end he kept the job through senority.  Thus the young man is in a better
position than his peers which helps lead to his self-assurance.

There is my guess.  Anybody have a different idea?

Regards,
   Rick Parker