Jill Weber wrote:

> Other way around most likely [Mary Vetsera did in Rudolph]. First
> person account by one of his cousins discusses shards of green bottle
> glass imbedded in Rudolf's scalp, heavy trauma to the skull. Unless he
> was indeed a mighty warrior capable of braining himself in such a
> fashion, I think either Maria did him in and then herself, or did him
> in and was then dispatched to avoid a scandal, or they were both done
> in by Franz Josef.

This is the first I've heard of the bottle and also it's the first
theory I remember hearing where Mary killed Rudolph first.  But then
I've only scratched the surface of Mayerling (and that is enough.)
There are many theories as to what happened. I guess I should have
wrote that what **I** thought the likely case was Rudolph performing a
murder-suicide.  I don't rule anything out though, even the ordering
of an imperial hit.

BTW - I've been contacted by a family in Mexico that claims that one
of their ancestors was the illegimate son of Rudolph (remember Marie
Larisch claiming she met Rudolph's son, an American who fought against
his grandpa in WWI?)  They sent a combined picture showing Franz
Joseph, his son Rudolph, Rudolph's supposed son and grandson.  I
forget which of the Mexicans looked like which of the Austrians but
there was two sets of look-alikes in the bunch.  Someday, with their
permission I intend to put up a web page with the picture and
**their** story.

Now, back to Eliot.  I'm inclined to think that the TWL murders were
mainly circumstance.  That is to say Eliot was more interested in
alluding to the sexual intrigues of the royal couples than to the
murders that could be attributed to them.  Does anyone have a
hankering to write a plot for "Murder at the Violet Hour?"

Regards,
   Rick Parker