--part1_11.16f8c567.287f2a57_boundary

In a message dated 7/12/2001 9:46:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>     Actually, 'carbuncular' means covered with pimples, caused by 'habits of
> intemperance'. The word meant initially referred to coals, and then came to
> mean jewels of red colour (ie, ruby) or of a red hue (mythical jewels which
> were said to glow in the dark). It meant 'jeweled (with red jewels)' or a
> red jewel in the Elizabethan period, or something of 'a resplendant
> quality'. It is clear how the word came to mean encrusted with spots.
> Eliot quotes some lines from Jonson's Volpone in his essay, 'Ben Jonson',

Well, since I never heard of the word before, I thought he might be playing
with the word "carbon" and how I pictured the clerk is as a heavy, colorless
man - a definition in part of carbon dioxide.

--part1_11.16f8c567.287f2a57_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/12/2001 9:46:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,