    From: Sobdo <[log in to unmask]>
    To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
    Date: Friday, June 29, 2001 10:02 PM
    Subject: Donne & Eliot
   =20
    Friends,
    We all know that there was a revival of interest on the Metaphysical =
after Eliot's path breaking reading of it. At the same time it is =
unbelievable that he was completely ignored by the critics/authors of =
the period preceding it. It is highly likely that 19th Century thinkers =
had a line of thinking towards Donne though it is not well documented. =
It seems to be a reading which lies centered to Donne's romantic vision =
as opposed to Eliot who sees the Metaphysical as a champion of =
"stronglined verse". But one is tempted to think that a change of view =
was imminent in the fin de siacle itself. Can any one help me out with =
the reading and interpretation of Donne in the 19th Century. Was it a =
part of English Curriculum in European/American 'versities? If so how =
was he interpreted in the pre-Eliot phase.
    I have two other queries to make:=20
        1.. Is a Critical Heritage Series on Donne available?  =20
        2.. How can I acquire an exhaustive bibliography on Criticism of =
Donne? Is it available online?
    Sobdo Chakrbarti
    India

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C10135.F6514420

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Sobdo</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I do not understand.&nbsp; Didn't the metaphysicals =
themselves=20
referred to their verse as &quot;stronglined&quot;?&nbsp; Have you =
worked with=20
the references already given?&nbsp; Perhaps you already had and we were =
to basic=20
in our recommendations.&nbsp; About a&nbsp; year ago I did a search of =
the MLA=20
electronic version on a subject related to the metaphysicals and the=20
modernists.&nbsp; I got over 50 references on just the first very rough=20
query.&nbsp; I am sure that a search for work related to the =
metaphysicals and=20
the 19th century would be just as fruitful.&nbsp; The MLA is available =
through=20
most university libraries and is available in print, I believe,&nbsp; to =
any=20
member of the MLA, such as most Professors of English.&nbsp; I have no =
idea of=20
it's availability in India but given the amount of excellent English =
literary=20
work done by Indian scholars I assume it is available.&nbsp; You might =
also try=20
&quot;Voice of the Shuttle&quot; a web site maintained out of a =
California=20
school.&nbsp; There are any number of poetry reference sites on-line =
where a=20
diligent search will give very good results.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Here is one more book reference on the =
Metaphysicals;&nbsp;=20
Martz, L. I. _The Poetry of Meditation_, New Haven, 1954.&nbsp; Surely =
Pittock,=20
Duncan, Martz, VOS and the MLA will give you a start.&nbsp; If =
not;&nbsp;=20
rejoice for you have just discovered an excellent research =
topic.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Rick Seddon</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>McIntosh, NM, USA&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><B>-----Original =
Message-----</B><BR><B>From:=20
    </B>Sobdo &lt;<A=20
    href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt;<BR><B>To: =
</B><A=20
    href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A> =
&lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt;<BR>=
<B>Date:=20
    </B>Friday, June 29, 2001 10:02 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Donne &amp;=20
    Eliot<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Friends,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We&nbsp;all know that there was a =
revival of=20
    interest on the Metaphysical after Eliot's path breaking reading of =
it. At=20
    the same time it is unbelievable that he was completely&nbsp;ignored =
by the=20
    critics/authors of the period preceding it. It is highly likely that =
19th=20
    Century&nbsp;thinkers had a line of thinking towards Donne though it =
is not=20
    well documented. It seems to be a reading which lies centered to =
Donne's=20
    romantic vision as opposed to Eliot&nbsp;who sees the Metaphysical =
as=20
    a&nbsp;champion of &quot;stronglined verse&quot;. But one&nbsp;is =
tempted=20
    to&nbsp;think that a change of view was imminent in the fin de =
siacle=20
    itself. Can any one help me out with the reading and =
interpretation&nbsp;of=20
    Donne in the&nbsp;19th Century.&nbsp;Was it a part of English =
Curriculum in=20
    European/American 'versities?&nbsp;If so how was he interpreted in =
the=20
    pre-Eliot phase.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have two other queries to make: =
</FONT></DIV>
    <OL>
        <LI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is a <STRONG>Critical Heritage=20
        Series</STRONG> on Donne available?&nbsp;</FONT>&nbsp;=20
        <LI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How can I acquire an exhaustive =
bibliography=20
        on Criticism of Donne? Is it available online?</FONT></LI></OL>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sobdo Chakrbarti</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>India</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C10135.F6514420--