Rickard Parker wrote:

> The Sibyl mentioned
> in TWL had a special way of writing her fortunes.  They would sometimes get
> scrambled.  Explore this a bit and then consider TWL.

Dear Rick and Gopika,
    As Virgil tells the story, the scrambling of the fortunes is more certain
than "sometimes."
    Aeneas has been told by Apollo, through Helenus [Æneid, III.441-452], not to
let the Sibyl write her prophesies on her leaves.  Although she orders them,
once ordered, she retreats, leaving them to the chance of the wind.  When Aeneas
meets her, two books later, he says what he was advised to:

     “foliis tantum ne carmina manda,
     ne turbata uolent rapidis ludibria uentis;
     ipsa canas oro.” [Virgil.  Æneid, VI.74-76]

     But, oh! commit not thy prophetick Mind
     To flitting Leaves, the sport of ev’ry Wind:
     Lest they disperse in Air our empty Fate:
     Write not, but, what the Pow’rs ordain, relate. [Dryden.  Æneis,
     VI.116-119]

(The Augustans pronounced "wind" as we do in "Wind the rope.")  Dryden's is not
a literal translation, so you should check a trot if you use his translation.

Marcia